PE 2.0 » Installing » System Requirements
Puppet Enterprise 2.0 supports the following systems:
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux||5 and 6||x86 and x86_64||all roles|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux||4||x86 and x86_64||agent|
|CentOS||5 and 6||x86 and x86_64||all roles|
|CentOS||4||x86 and x86_64||agent|
|Ubuntu LTS||10.04||32- and 64-bit||all roles|
|Debian||Lenny (5) and Squeeze (6)||i386 and amd64||all roles|
|Oracle Linux||5 and 6||x86 and x86_64||all roles|
|Scientific Linux||5 and 6||x86 and x86_864||all roles|
|SUSE Linux Enterprise Server||11||x86 and x86_864||all roles|
|Solaris||10||SPARC and x86_64||agent|
Puppet Enterprise’s hardware requirements depend on the roles a machine performs.
- The puppet master role should be installed on a robust, dedicated server.
- Minimum requirements: 2 processor cores, 1 GB RAM, and very accurate timekeeping.
- Recommended requirements: Physical hardware or Xen or KVM virtual server, with 2-4 processor cores and 4 GB RAM. Performance will vary, but this configuration can generally manage approximately 1,000 agent nodes.
- The console role should usually be installed on the same server as the puppet master, but can optionally be separated.
- Minimum requirements: A machine able to handle moderate web traffic and perform processor-intensive background tasks.
- The cloud provisioner role has very modest requirements.
- Minimum requirements: A system which provides interactive shell access for trusted users.
- The puppet agent role has very modest requirements.
- Minimum requirements: Any hardware able to comfortably run a supported operating system.